Re: devel files and libraries in /lib

On 2011-01-01 Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
> First of all, thanks Andreas and Jonas for getting libgcrypt and
> libgpg-error updated and moved to /lib.

> There is one remaining issue though about the devel files, I'd like to raise.

> For both libgpg-error-dev and libgcrypt11-dev you moved the .so
> symlink ,the *.a and *.la libtool files to /lib too.

> My original patch [1] for libcryptsetup (#604936) handled this
> diffently. It only moved the *.so.* files to /lib and kept all devel
> related files in /usr/lib. This looked like the right way to me.

> Afaicr I've never seen this documentented somewhere to do it this
> way and I'm wondering if this is indeed the agreed upon best
> practice and if we should document it somehow (policy, devref,
> whatever).
[...]

Hello,
In the latest upload to experimental (-3 which is the NEW queue) I
have synced with Ubuntu. They also install everything to /lib (since
Nov. 2008 afaict from the changelog) with one exception: The la file
stays in /usr/lib and gets a symlink in /lib.  (I think the rationale
is to not break existing la files that list /usr/lib/libgcrypt.la in
deplibs.)

cu andreas