Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On 12/22/2011 07:19 PM, Philip Hands wrote:
> I'm still yet to understand the significant upsides of this proposal
So far, the only upside that has been written here, if I understand
well, is less patches for upstream udev, which is important since we
don't have enough people to work on alternatives/fork/patches.

While I understand we have a limited amount of people willing to work
on udev maintenance, I'd like to know if there is even a limit on how
much crap we can accept from upstream.

udev has nearly broken-up our Lenny to Squeeze upgrade path, and made
it impossible to run recent Ubuntu with a Lenny kernel (which was, for
a while, quite problematic when running virtual machines for me, and
really annoying for upgrades).

Now, this mess, which frankly, nobody needs, and with only downsides.

How long are we going to accept such mess? How much crap is Debian
ready to accept from upstream udev without declaring it a broken
development? Do we really have to just accept shit from udev by RedHat
without being able to say anything, or are there alternative path?

Thomas Goirand (zigo)