Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 09:55:23PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
The harm is if it takes us extra development time because other distributions don't support it, provide configuration options for it, or test it.

Well, this happens with other things as well. There was a time, when Debian was the test platform for XFree86 on other platforms besides x86, because upstream didn’t care for them. Today Debian has still a lot of CPU architectures and has to spent time debugging different programs because upstream does not care for Sparc or ARM.

The strict licence politics of Debian are no time savers as well.

So your argument can not really be an excuse.

Nowadays 100G disks are small by laptop standards and for desktops 1TB is about the smallest that anyone would buy.

I know a lot of new desktop systems with 300G, 500G or 750G. And it many cases people don’t know what to do with this space.

Finally there has been development of OS technology such as a tmpfs for /dev and the recent addition to Testing and Unstable of a tmpfs for /run which reduces the use of the root filesystem.

I don’t really believe this. An old tar archive of /dev is about 670k, /run is a symlink to /var/run, and /var is a different partition of course.

Things have changed a lot since the FSSTD first came out.

True, but / as emergency system is still a valid reason. That’s why I keep / and /boot outside LVM, so that I can repair/rename/change the LVM system. I did this more than once.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |