Re: Guided partitioning should not offer separate /usr, /var, and /tmp partitions; leave that to manual partitioning

On 12/18/2011 04:47 AM, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Let me clarify: I can safely say it won't become *Debian's*
> recommended configuration anytime soon.
> It has strong enough arguments against it
> that while a vocal minority might manage to keep it around, I doubt
> it will become the default.  The discussion would have to change quite
> drastically for that to occur.

I never wanted it to be the default.

On 12/18/2011 04:47 AM, Josh Triplett wrote:
> And do you seriously expect the average user to go through the process
> of an LVM resize?

Seriously, I never did!!!
Again, I'm not talking about the "average user", my opinion is that
"average joe" shouldn't be our only target.

> "Possible" doesn't mean "easy".

There are ways to please everyone, debconf priority is one way. Why
can't the installer have more options for those who like them, and be
more easy (with less confusing options) for the less knowledgeable?

We should, if possible, not oppose ease of use, convenience, and the
features. We should aim at all of that! ;)

Thomas