Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> Le vendredi 09 décembre 2011 à 11:50 -0400, Joey Hess a écrit :
>> I have made hundreds of changes to debhelper that broke buggy packages
>> without using compat levels; that is not what compat levels are for.
>
> So, breaking a dozen packages with +x on their files in debian/ is fine,
> but breaking 0 packages by adding variable substitution in them is
> not?

Those dozen packages were slightly buggy to begin with. Fixing them to
remove the +x is a good thing, which should've been done anyway.

I still did not see any compelling argument against executable files,
except for personal distaste, which is, well, an opinion only.

There's plenty of examples in the archive where great flexibility was
given to maintainers, and they did not abuse it. I can't see why this
would be an exception.

(There's also cases of much more brain damage in various packages all
over the archive, which noone seems to mind all that much. Just look at
how long yada survived.)