Re: authbind (LD_PRELOAD) and multiarch

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > To best avoid transitional problems I guess piece 2 should go into
> > "authbind" (Multi-arch: same; Depends: authbind-support) and pieces 1
> > and 3 would in "authbind-support" (Multi-arch: foreign; no
> > dependency).  But I'm not sure.
>
> Yes.

Hum, in fact, the split and the Multi-arch fields are okay but I think
that the package names and dependencies are somewhat ill-advised.

I would call "authbind" (Multi-arch: foreign) the pieces 1/3 because the
user really wants to install the wrapper. I would put the preload library
in a "libauthbind" package (Multi-arch: same).

The wrapper depends on "libauthbind" because it's relatively useless
without the preload library (if we want to be picky, it could be useful
with a library of another architecture and without the library of the
same architecture, but currently you can't depend on "libfoo:any" if
libfoo is Multi-Arch: same).

I don't see why the library would have to depend on the binaries (but
maybe I misunderstood your description of the helper binaries) and in fact
we really want to avoid the dependency loop.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer