Re: Red Hat is moving from / to /usr/

I demand that Stephan Seitz may or may not have written...

> On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 11:34:34AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> Actually, Red Hat's goal *is* to support a separate /usr, they just want
>> to have the initramfs mount it.

> But as was seen in the last discussion, not everyone *has* an initramfs,
> because it is not needed in many cases or sometimes even not supported on
> the platform.

On any box for which I've built a kernel, there's no initramfs and (except in
one case – netbook) there's a separate /usr. I'd quite like to keep it this
way...

/ (without /usr) is often enough for rescue purposes (and if it isn't, it's
enough to get /usr mounted). And if / is broken, then you have larger
problems anyway.

This mount-/usr/-in-initramfs looks to me like a means of reducing choice.

--
|  _  | Darren Salt, using Debian GNU/Linux (and Android)
| ( ) |
|  X  | ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML e-mail
| / \ | http://www.asciiribbon.org/

Take my advice, I'm not using it right now.