Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:

>> I'll happily use the new dh_install feature instead of whining.
>
> You are forgetting that there are more people than just you looking at
> your package. By using an obviously verry controversial feature you will
> make everybody else life more difficult.

You're making it sound far worse than it is. If someone can't make heads
and tails out of what most of the executable files will be, he shouldn't
be looking at the sources to begin with.

(Especially since said executable files will differ from the
Ubuntu-proposed multi-arch stuff by exactly one line and a +x bit, and
that is far easier to understand than an override maze.)

> I don't think he is whining. He is trying to find a solution that
> everybody can live and work with. And while a package is generally the
> Maintainers domain a package also belongs to its users and has to work
> together with Debian as a whole. If a major piece of our toolchain for
> debian sources suddenly breaks existing sources and pisses of half the
> maintainer that is not a good state to have.

Yeah, some maintainers then need to take a deep breath and realize
they're overreacting.

What exactly does this break, that wasn't buggy before, by the way?