Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Dec 08, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> However in practice it is very hard to support this sort of thing in
> Debian anyway, because the way you get fast booting is by removing all
> the generality in scripts which check what sort of hardware and then
Agreed. Also, emebedded devices will probably either have / and /usr on
the same file system or even benefit from the everything-in-/usr
approach.

> There are quite good reasons why you wouldn't want to do thing that
> way though. We should at least do our best not to make things
> unreasonably difficult for people in this situation, even if we chose
> not to really 'support' it.
We need to understand if these people object to using an initramfs in
principle or just to the ones generated by initramfs-tools.

On Dec 08, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> Currently the only Debian architectures which doesn't use
> initramfs by default are the MIPS architectures.  And I understand
> that most of the boot loaders for MIPS can actually support an
> initramfs.
Do you know the reason for not using initramfs by default?
Is it still relevant nowadays?
Are there any MIPS porters around who can provide their opinions on the
issue?

--
ciao,
Marco