Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 02:47:00PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > While I had originally believed this to be the case when drafting
> > <http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation>, feedback from those
> > implementing this in practice is that dh does *not* export these variables,
> > it only passes them to autoconf.

> That's not correct, dh exports the variables. (You made me look though.)

> joey@gnu:~/src/filters>head -n2 Makefile
> build:
> 	echo ${CPPFLAGS}
> joey@gnu:~/src/filters>echo 9 > debian/compat
> joey@gnu:~/src/filters>debian/rules build
> dh build
>    dh_testdir
>    dh_auto_configure
>    dh_auto_build
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/joey/src/filters'
> echo -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2

Well, it exports CPPFLAGS as part of dpkg-buildflags handling, sure, but not
DEB_{HOST,BUILD}_*.

(I did actually test this myself before posting:

$ cat debian/rules
#!/usr/bin/make -f

%:
	dh $@

override_dh_auto_configure:
	echo $(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)
	false

$ echo 9 > debian/compat
$ ./debian/rules build
dh build
   dh_testdir
   debian/rules override_dh_auto_configure
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/testing'
echo

false
<snip>
)

Also, I'm pretty sure the *FLAGS export happens only for dh_auto_* and
not for dh itself (set_buildflags is called from
/usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Dh_Buildsystems.pm), so it still doesn't
help when called from dh_install.