Re: Red Hat is moving from / to /usr/

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 at 01:43:34 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commitdiff;h=12a362be5c1982f80dbfb75bda070208a2c99cdf
>
> Discuss.

As far as I can make out, their position is that a separate /usr is now only
supported if you mount it from the initrd - which to be honest seems a
reasonable way to keep existing separate-/usr systems working, without
defeating the "/ is small" justification for a separate /usr by gradually
migrating more and more of /usr into the root filesystem.

It doesn't really address the "/ as recovery system" use of a separate /usr
if your root filesystem can't boot unaided, but I'm far from convinced that
a separate /usr makes / significantly more reliable, and an entirely
separate installation (Debian Live on removable media, or a smaller Debian
install in a separate partition that isn't normally even mounted) makes an
even more reliable recovery system.