Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
> With a filesystem it will write the dirty buffers to disk in the
> background and then drop the clean pages from the cache quite
> consistently. This leaves the code involved with moving the mouse
> pointer alone and functioning smoothly.

That's not what I have observed.

The command "mv /mnt/usb/* /mnt/nfs" can cause X related stuff to be swapped
out and the mouse pointer to freeze.  It happens to me repeatedly running
Unstable with kernel 3.0.0-2.

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
> Having /tmp on / would quickly degrade performance as the filesystems
> free space becomes fragmented over time. So if you end up with a tmpfs
> for /tmp on such a system you already did install your systems wrong for
> your use case under the old setup. So only suboptimal configurations are
> hurt by defaulting to tmpfs. :)

Could you please point me to a reference about some research on ext3/4
fragmentation supporting this claim?