Re: Package mailing lists

Hi Stefano,

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 07:41:27AM +0900, Iustin Pop wrote:
>  Sorry for reviving and old email. To what extend do you think this
>  should apply - even at individual package level?
>
>  I ask this because of the following: recently I had a 1-1 discussion
>  with a co-maintainer of one of my packages, which went between our
>  personal emails. I quite disliked this (since it will be buried in our
>  mailboxes), but email conversations seem simpler than going through the
>  BTS for all discussions.

That's an interesting corner case, thanks for mentioning it.

[...]

I'm not sure how we can make it easier for small maintenance team to
have a mailing list. Maybe starting archiving @packages.d.o addresses
could be a first step?

Good question, I'm not aware of a master plan for our development collaboration infrastructure. One issue I see with this proposition is the loss of private contact channels that work for all packages (and should remain available for the vast majority of them).

For what it's worth, I don't see this problem as a "corner case", I think there must be a lot of exchanges that happen this way currently.