Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:24:00PM +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently debian put /tmp under tmpfs.
>
> Even if it increase reponsivness under desktop, it ruin completly
> sciene and imaging software that do some off loading on /tmp.
>
> For instance using gscan2pdf on 60pages document create more than 1.2G
> of image file under /tmp and crash du to missing space.
>
> What are the solution for this kind of problem ?

You need to increase the swap size by the amount you'd use for /tmp.  Or, if
you have plenty of RAM, merely increase the cap but then it may have no
place to be swapped to if you'd want the RAM for other uses.

Which raises a question what is a reasonable /tmp size.  I doubt a system
where someone even considers scanning a 1.2G document would be so tight to
not afford 2.4G of RAM+swap (the /tmp cap is still set to 50%, right?).
Thus, this suggests it might be a good idea to adjust d-i defaults.

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!