Re: dh_strip failing on cross-compilation

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 17:50:09 +0100
Ole Wolf <wolf@blazingangles.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to build packages for multiple architectures. The package builds
> fine on the native system (amd64), but when I issue "debuild -ai386"

For amd64 to i386, create an i386 chroot with debootstrap and build the
package inside that chroot. This ONLY works for particular combinations
of architectures and amd64 -> i386 is one of those pairs. i386 -> amd64
is NOT the same thing.

>    What should I do to build for multiple architectures?

For mutually incompatible architectures, e.g. if you were doing amd64
to armel or i386 to mips, you need a cross-compiler toolchain and all
the cross-dependency packages installed for the foreign architecture.
Emdebian provides some, other sources exist but there aren't
cross-compilers available for most combinations actually within Debian
yet.

amd64 -> i386 does NOT need any of that hassle, just a chroot.

Simpler ways of doing this for all architecture combinations are
awaiting the full MultiArch implementation.

Typical list for queries related to incompatible architectures is
debian-embedded@lists.debian.org

Feel free to add this to the Debian Wiki, somewhere under the amd64
stuff.

--

Neil Williams