Re: Sharing data between maintainer scripts and debian/rules

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> Other than using sed and awk during the build on a package-specific
> basis with all the potential for typos, is there a wider use case for
> dissemination of variables from debian/rules into maintainer scripts?

In tex-common and texlive-{base,extra,lang,doc}, we use eperl.
debian/rules has a section like this:

# create maintainer scripts etc.
EPERL_FILES := debian/common.functions debian/postinst debian/postrm debian/config debian/preinst
eperl_sourcefiles=debian/variables debian/COPYRIGHT.scripts debian/postinst.functions \
   debian/common.variables debian/common.functions debian/postrm.functions

# Eperl is simply great: thanks, Davide!
% :: %.in $(eperl_sourcefiles)
        eperl -k -P -o $@ $<

Then you edit postinst.in, postrm.in and they eperl'ishly include
common.functions, common.variables

You can even have rules.in like this.

The original idea is from Davide Salvetti in his auctex package, but I
wouldn't recommend this any more - the packaging may be "aesthetic", but
it is overcomplicated. In particular, newer upstream versions probably
don't need much more than ./configure; make; make install.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Sprecher B90/Grüne OV Miltenberg und Umgebung