Re: Minified files and source code requirement

Russ Allbery wrote:

> I think a better line is whether the source tarball includes all the
> pieces required for someone with appropriate skills to make modifications
> to the software with reasonable ease.  The advantage of that, as opposed
> to trying to weigh whether upstream has additional advantages, is that
> it's a judgement call that can be made solely based on the contents of the
> source tarball without reference to anything external.

Do we agree that minified Javascript libraries do not meet this
criterion (for non-broken definitions of "reasonable")?  If so, I'd
leave the other theoretical cases for until someone proposes an
appropriate wording for a change to the constitution or policy (so
then we can have the shared goal of debugging that wording[*]).

If not, of course, that point of disagreement seems like a good place
to focus the discussion.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

[*] of course, the current wording ("The program must include source
code") is buggy because vague.  But that's harder to debug without an
example people disagree about.