Re: release goal proposal: enable hardening build flags

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 07:22:59PM +0100, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> schrieb:
> > In gmane.linux.debian.devel.general Kees Cook <kees@debian.org> wrote:
> >> I would like to propose a release goal of enabling hardening build flags[1]
> >> for all C/C++ packages in the archive[2]. For Wheezy, specific sub-goals are
> >> being chosen.
> > [...]

> > Hello,
> > Is there any point in still using hardening-wrapper if a package properly
> > uses default compiler options provided by dpkg-buildflags?

> No, switching to dpkg-buildflags is preferred since it allows changing the
> standard build flags in one central place.

However, hardening-wrapper turns on a few options that are not turned on by
default with dpkg-buildflags.  So if you're currently using
hardening-wrapper already, please take care to turn these features on when
switching to dpkg-buildflags.

(export DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS  := hardening=+bindnow,+pie)