Re: Minified files and source code requirement

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
>> One of the other problems with embedded JavaScript libraries is that
>> often only the pre-compiled/obfuscated/minified version is
>> distributed, which would be a violation of DFSG item 2.
>
> I did not reply on this at first but since Jakub filed #646729 using
> a similar reasoning, I would like to discuss this here.
>
> I don't agree that minified files are a violation of DFSG #2. If the
> library is under the GPL then it would be a problem because it's not the
> preferred form of modification.

This isn't a problem if you use the system library (e.g. jquery.min.js
that exists in the jquery package thanks to yui-compressor).  The real
solution to this problem (as already discussed) is to devise a
javascript versioning policy that causes breakages when APIs change,
so that any such change has to have a transition plan.

Best wishes,
Mike