Re: udev: what does it used for in Debian?

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:20:01 +0700
Ivan Shmakov <ivan@gray.siamics.net> wrote:

>  > udev isn't just for pluggable devices, packages can provide udev
>  > rules to ensure that devices appear with a consistent name,
>
> 	It doesn't seem like a good reason for the aforementioned
> 	dependency, does it?

Yes it is - otherwise devices simply stop communicating with the
package every couple of boot cycles. The package could also start
reading the wrong /dev node and get thoroughly confused.

If the device concerned is the main input HID for the machine, that is
really very, very bad and a working udev rule file and a dependency on
udev is mandatory. (My most recent udev rule encounter was precisely
this situation with an embedded device trying to read the hardware
button interface, one boot it was /dev/input/event0, next time it
was /dev/input/event1, the package failed to start and the device
could not be operated or shutdown or rebooted without connecting the
serial port.)

--

Neil Williams