Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

On 15/10/11 22:00, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Needing to send mail through specific per-user smarthosts is the exception,
> > not the rule.  Most machines have a designated forwarding smarthost based on
> > who their ISP is, not based on which email address someone wants to use.
>
> Every ISP mailserver I've seen, and for that matter almost every other
> mailserver I've seen, requires SMTP AUTH to send mail; the SMTP AUTH
> credentials vary by user.  And for that matter, while most of those
> mailservers[1] will allow sending from email addresses other than the
> one used for SMTP AUTH, many such servers *will* prohibit sending from
> another address at the same domain/service, requiring you to SMTP AUTH
> for that address instead.

I don't believe this is usually the case in the UK. Most mailservers
(both in ISPs and elsewhere) will usually allow unauthenticated
connections from machines connected to their networks. Only if they
allow users to send mail from elsewhere will they require SMTP AUTH.

Roger