Re: Move all to /usr

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
>> oiow, someone with time should just make that trichotomy happen in FHS 3.0.
>
> I think there's a chicken-and-egg problem here: FHS want to document existing
> practice.   Someone needs to put work into a runnable concept OS at the very
> least first.

Did you know about http://www.gobolinux.org/ ?

They've actually used a similar filesystem layout, although IIRC it's
based on a few patches that make /usr, /var, etc. invisible to the
user rather than really replacing them (and it still has these
directories at least as symlinks to other locations). It clearly has
nothing to do with Debian, but maybe something to get inspiration
from.

Not to say that moving stuff around to get to such a setup even as a
concept Debian install wouldn't be a huge undertaking.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl@gmail.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl@gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93