Re: Move all to /usr

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 04:32:46PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove

I especially dislike moving /sbin/ and /usr/sbin/ to /usr/bin/.

That's namespace pollution, you don't want to have executables you can't run
due to them being root-only in your $PATH.

After GTK decided to drop/depreciate support for running as root (in favour
of communicating with helper programs), it might make sense to actually go
the other way and think about splitting GUI programs from the rest.  This is
not as big an issue, though, as you don't spend a lot of time at a root
prompt.

My argument is orthogonal about whether they reside in / or /usr/, though --
I'm just saying root and non-root programs shouldn't be mixed.

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!