Re: Move all to /usr

On 2011-10-11, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
>
> I am still not 100% persuaded that this would be easy to do, but at
> least I think that it has more merit than the old "move all to /"...
>
> How much complex would it be to implement this in Debian?
> Would "mv /bin/* /usr/bin/" and making it a symlink just work, without
> the need to create temporary symlinks in every package as red hat plans
> to do?

That would be fine if /usr is always on the root partition. However many
people put /usr on a separate partition, and then this could be a
disaster. /bin contains lots of stuff that needs to be there at boot (
just like /lib or /etc) and having a link to a non-existant partition
would break lots.

> This reminds me a bit of the /usr/doc/ => /usr/share/doc/ transition.

Hardly. It does not matter where doc is as far as booting or running is
concerned. It is purely a housekeeping issue. It does matter where say
the program mount is, since if it is not available at boot, it is going
to be pretty hard to use your system.