Re: Greaat disappointment

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011, Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> wrote:
> >    I also considered investing into the Debian project by donating
> >    millions of dollars.
> >    To help the creation of software which can effectively conquer the
> >    popularity of Windows,
[...]
> >    We may hear of each other again. I may consider creating my own
> >    foundation for an all new OS.

The quality of support on IRC varies.  That said when you join #Debian the
Topic includes "/msg bots NOT people" which is pretty clear for anyone who
knows IRC well.  It would be good if http://deb.li/IRCFAQ also included this
in a longer form for people who aren't into IRC.

Finally this "I was going to be a big customer" line is commonly used by
dissatisfied people.  Making up exaggerated claims isn't going to make us take
him seriously.  The number of people who falsely claim to be millionaires
vastly outnumbers the number of real millionaires - many of whom don't tell
people how much money they have for obvious reasons.  That sort of thing is
just annoying.

In any case I think we should welcome forks, any fork has to be under a
compatible license, therefore we can incorporate changes if they are
beneficial.  So if he is a millionaire then creating another Canonical would
be a good thing to do, it's not as if Debian needs the money, it seems that we
always have a lot of money and not that much to spend it on.

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011, Arno Töll <debian@toell.net> wrote:
> FTR: http://paste.debian.net/133330/

Yes, calling people "dumbass" is a good way to not get your question answered.
Another is to make ageist aspersions, there are more than a few Linux experts
who are less than 14yo.  The youngest person to give a presentation at LCA was
13 at the time - someone who can get their talk accepted by one of the most
prestigious Linux conferences can probably answer IRC questions better than
most people...

As an aside, is there any good paid Linux answer service?  When someone who
has millions of dollars to spend but who can't get along with IRC people then
it would surely be better for them to pay someone to answer their question.

My past experience is that when one of my clients wants to pay a DD $100US by
PayPal they get quality advice, assistance, and on occasion new features at
fairly short notice.  Speaking for myself a message saying "please answer the
following question ASAP for $100 by PayPal" will really get my attention.