Re: BTW question: how expensive is archive/unarchive

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> There are a bunch of bug reports where a bug was fixed in the stable
> branch, and for whatever reason it wasn't obvious to BTS that the
> bug was fixed in the development branch as well, so it shows a
> picture like this:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/version.cgi?info=1;absolute=0;fixed=e2fsprogs%2F1.41.12-3;collapse=1;found=e2fsprogs%2F1.41.11-1;package=e2fsprogs
>
> Since it was marked "done", the bug report has been marked archived, so
> I can't just send a command:
>
> fixed 588726 e2fsprogs/1.42~WIP-2011-07-02-01
>
> I'd instead have to do this:
>
> unarchive 588726
> fixed 588726 e2fsprogs/1.42~WIP-2011-07-02-01
> archive 588726
>
> How expensive is this?  Is archive/unarchive just a flag to prevent
> spam from getting entered into the bug report, or something more?

It's mainly just a link/unlink with some indexing afterwards, so it's
reasonably cheap. Go ahead and run it.

> Also, I found the following in the HowToUseBTS archive:
>
>    "Because bug reports can get archived after 28 days if they fulfil
>    some criteria: usually bugs have to get fixed both in unstable and in
>    testing to get archived."
>
> So it's a bit annoying that I need to go in and manually mark all of
> these bugs as fixed in a historical release --- but given that BTS
> thinks that both unstable and testing still have these bugs marked
> as unfixed, why were they archived in the first place?

If on June 6th, the bug was fixed in unstable and testing, then it
would have been archived, even if the bug later became unfixed in
unstable. Bugs like this should probably automatically become
unarchived, but I haven't sat down and wrote the code to do that.

Don Armstrong

--
Of course, there are cases where only a rare individual will have the
vision to perceive a system which governs many people's lives; a