Re: Status of circulars dependencies in unstable

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 11:57:39AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Sep 2011, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > > The problem is that perl and perl-modules really are one package that was
> > > split apart solely to get the (large) architecture-independent parts into
> > > an arch: all package.
> >
> > Wouldn't this problem be solved by moving the contents of perl to, e.g.,
> > perl-bin, making perl a dummy package, and the following relations:
> > [- - -]
> > But this solution seems so simple that I must be missing something.
>
> You miss the fact that installing perl-bin alone can also break
> stuff trying to use what's in that package if perl-modules is not
> installed.
>
> That said with such a setup, it's unlikely to happen given that
> most dependencies point to "perl" which enforces the presence of
> both packages. And even the bogus dependency on perl-modules does
> the right thing.
>
> So it's certainly better than switching perl-modules's Depends to a
> Recommends.

Would one of the following work?

1. Merge perl and perl-modules. Some waste across architectures in the
   archive, but not horribly much.
2. Drop the Depends on perl from perl-modules, move all of perl-modules's
   Provides to perl, and make it an RC bug to depend on perl-modules. Add
   a lintian check for it, and have ftp-master automatically reject any
   uploads that trigger the warning.

--
Freedom-based blog/wiki/web hosting: http://www.branchable.com/