Re: Maintainers, porters, and burden of porting

On 08/31/2011 01:45 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:35:59AM +0200, Andreas Barth a écrit :
>> * Lucas Nussbaum (lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net) [110831 10:56]:
>>> Also, in the case of architectures targetted at embedded systems (I'm
>>> thinking about mips and mipsel), what is important is that Debian
>>> infrastructure supports the development of those architectures, but I
>>> don't think that there's much to gain by being officially supported if
>>> it's only used in production through derivatives that can provide the
>>> official support.
>>
>> You are aware that there are mipsel netbooks? And arm tablets?
>
> In some previous discussion I was also pointed at 64-core mips workstations.
> How many of these machines are running Debian ?
>
> I do not think that we can consider ports equally.  The arm platform and the
> armel port have some clear success.  According to popcon, the user community of
> Debian on armel is constantly growing, and is aproximately 1 % of our ‘PC’
> (i386 and amd64) user community.  Also, other distributions, for instance
> Ubuntu, increase their committment for this platform.  In comparison, the
> usrerbase of the mipsel port stagnates to 0.05 % of our PC userbase.  If there
> were many Debian users of mipsel netbooks and workstations, why would they not
> use Popcon, as the Debian users of armel computers do ?

The mipsel port is used by the Lemote Notebooks/mini Desktops for example, which
come pre-installed with Debian. Not sure if they have popcon enabled at all. And
I guess mipsel is more a target for Embedian. No idea about usage statistics
there, though.