Re: Maintainers, porters, and burden of porting

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 00:01:07 +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 01:06:15PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>> >
>> > Sorry, but I disagree here. I don't think it is reasonable to expect
>> > porters to check for build failures in general, especially as many of
>> > them just happen because of generic maintainer errors and
>> > cross-architectures.
>>
>> I'm not saying that porters should check for build failures in general.
>>
>> If you take a list of packages that failed on $PORTER_ARCH, but built
>> fine on at least two or three other architectures, do you really expect
>> to get many false positives (i.e, non-arch-specific problems)?
>
> I think to have a useful discussion we need to start with the different
> kind of failures we can actually see that are arch dependend.  Some of
> those shows up on only 1 or 2 arches, some show up on all but 1 or 2
> arches:

<snip>

> 7) Packages that trigger arch specific toolchain, libc or kernel
>    bugs.
> 8) Packages that themself work properly but use a library or
>    program that has a problem.

I think some clarification needs to be done for these types of errors. I
sometimes get a (serious) bug reported against one of my packages because:

1. python errored out with a glibc-detected error
2. gcc broke in some way (ICE, error -11, error -4)
3. swig failed with error -10

None of these are my package's fault. I wonder if reassigning to the
program erroring out is the right thing to do.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler