Re: Dependencies of metapackages

On mar., 2011-08-30 at 16:11 +0100, Wolodja Wentland wrote:

> I agree that a general change of all metapackages is probably not a good idea,
> but I think that changing the root-nodes of the metapackage tree (i.e.
> metapackages like gnome, xfce4, kde-full, ...) is a sensible change. It is in
> particular one that solves the problems without the need to introduce new
> package fields, change packaging tools or their semantics.

If you think some dependencies in those metapackages are unneeded or too
strong, you're welcome to open a wishlist bug against them.

For xfce4, while I'm open to discussion, the distinction between
depends/recommends/suggests is intended, and at first sight I don't see
a need to change it.

On a totally different scale, is it a good idea that automatic
installation of recommends is recursive?

It is a really tricky question, and I'm not sure there's *one* answer.
In some cases you really want them (well, as long as you want automatic
recommends), but not all.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis