Re: Source Code One Line Change [patch] and Copyright holder

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, "Nanakos V. Chrysostomos" <nanakos@wired-net.gr> wrote:
> recently I have contributed a on-line patch [0] that resolves a
> significant and major security bug in a PAM module. I added myself to the
> Copyright holders of the file and added this change to the changelog file

Regardless of the issue of whether you can claim copyright on a single line
(which AFAIK has never been tested by a court) there is the issue of whether
it's reasonable to make such a claim by community standards.

I know that I'm not the only person here who has sent in many patches that are
much more significant without asking for credit in the copyright file.  It
seems to be a common expectation that one doesn't make such claims about small
patches.

Fixing security flaws is a really good thing to do.  Send in lots more patches
like that and you can count on getting a good reputation for it, even if you
don't end up in any copyright files.