Re: mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.

On 08/19/11 05:56, compn wrote:

> mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.
[..]
> debian and uoti are setting themselves (and us) up for explaining to
> users which version is better.

While this is always the problem with forks, be assured you are not
alone.

There are jackd1 and jackd2, and these are just two independent
implementations of the jack API. Users think because two is lager than
one, jackd2 must be the successor of jackd1, which is wrong.

We have a FAQ on that (<http://jackaudio.org/jack12n>), maybe you want
one, too. ;)

I always say "Think of 'number two', not 'version two'. It's just an
arbitrary enumeration."

HTH