Re: RFC: dpatch - past, present and future

Hi,

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> As for the future: I still believe dpatch is a temporary solution, and
> that better tools exist now. Therefore, it is my long-term plan to
> slowly deprecate dpatch, and eventually make it gracefully leave the
> archive.

How do you plan to do this?

I imagine you could print out a warning during the build process
when dpatch is invoked. It would point to some documentation explaining
the recommended alternatives...

You could also update the package description to discourage people to use
it for new packages.

But if your goal is really to get rid of it, you could just as well file
wishlist bugs on all packages build-depending on it, usertag them and
increase their severity slowly. Wishlist for now, normal in the next
release cycle and important/RC in the cycle where you want to drop it?

FWIW, we managed to get rid of 2/3 of dbs build-dependencies by filing such bugs:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=hertzog@debian.org;tag=drop-dbs

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer