Re: Introducing Build-Recommends / Build-Core-Depends?

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 13:42:20 +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:

> I'm not sure I could speak about "cases", but an obvious use case
> aside from bootstrapping is backporting, where I could just drop off
> dependencies I'm not going to use instead of looking at the code and
> figuring out if it's easier to backport yet another library or change
> the code. Just because I know that removing dependencies not in
> Build-Core-Depends will just work.

You don't actually know that, unless you're suggesting we expand our
support matrix by a few orders of magnitude to support any and all
combinations of packages built with some random combination of their
optional build-deps.  "Works enough to get to the next stage of the
bootstrap" isn't the same as "just works".

Cheers,
Julien