Re: A few observations about systemd

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 07:12:58PM +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > > If you do want it started, that means you need to install it first. Then
> > > it makes very much sense it is started automatically.
> > Logical fallacy: "run" implies "install", but "install" doesn't always
> > mean "run".
> While that is true, it is not really taking the discussion further
> without some supporting argumentation. On its own, it just seems like
> empty sophistry. I suspect you didn't mean it like that, however.
I can install a package to play with it, read the included docs, etc. I
can install a package locally because I need to install it on a remote
server and want easy access to its content before/while deploying. I want
control over my system so I want to review the configuration before
something is started without my permission.
I understand that all these cases can be solved by manually stopping and
then manually disabling the daemon(s), but still.
Note that this equally applies to, for example, cron jobs doing something
non-trivial (munin for example), only cron jobs are harder to notice and
disable.

--
WBR, wRAR