Re: Providing official virtualisation images of Debian

Hello,

On 07/26/2011 11:08 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:27:09AM +0200, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
>> I believe it's high time we start to providing Debian in form of official
>> virtualisation images
> Yes, absolutely. These days having virtual images is yet another way of
> distributing an operating system and I think we should do that.
>
>> What virtualisation solutions should be supported?
> As a general principle we should at least have all images needed to run
> virtualisation technologies which we do have in the archive.
>
> Additionally, I think we should also consider getting contacts with
> "cloud providers" (e.g. Amazon, as mentioned in this thread) and have
> them offer Debian images provided by us.
Amazon has granted me an AWS voucher for Debian Med associated bits.
I happily store instances that you want me to store.

>  Some of those provider already
> offer, possibly via third parties, Debian virtualization images. It
> would be much better if they can offer the "official" ones provided by
> us. For this we need contacts though, possibly of people who are
> Debian/FOSS friendly within the companies.  Of course we should strive
> for not singling out any single company, hence the way it could work is
> to have a page listing providers offering official Debian virtualisation
> images + offering a contact point that providers could mail to get
> listed. In that respect, it could work very much like
> <http://www.debian.org/distrib/pre-installed>.
I agree with everything you are saying.
>> How should the images be generated? IMO the images would need to be
>> created by a DD and to provide at least some form of trust path
>> validation we could provide PGP signed hashes of the download images.
> No matter what internal process we decide to have for generating the
> images, we should advertise them as official images rather than
> distributing them under some sort of personal URL.
There are instructions on http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud on how to set
images up from various authors but of course some considerable
contribution by the past two
GSoC projects we had on this. Time is floating, feel free to improve on
them.

Best regards,

Steffen