Re: Providing official virtualisation images of Debian

On Fri, 2011-07-29 at 19:29 +0200, Iustin Pop wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 08:23:57PM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> > >
> > > Open Virtualization Format (OVF) is the only format that should need to be
> > > supported. VirtualBox, VMWare, RHEV, AbiCloud, Citrix XenConvert, and
> > > OpenNode all support the format.
> >
> > The problem with OVF is that it does not define actual disk image
> > format, it merely describes the VM for a management layer (like
> > libvirt), but makes no big effort to standardize disk format.
> >
> > So it's basically useless in this context - it's kinda trivial to
> > provide the management stuff, the more important bit is the disk
> > content.
>
> I wouldn't put it that strong :)
>
> While it's true that OVF is 'weak' in respect to disk formats, one can
> choose and support a few widely-used formats to cover enough space.
>
> This is exactly what we're doing now in the Ganeti project - after some
> consideration, supporting just raw, vmdk and the qcow variants seems to
> have wide-enough use to cover most interoperability issues. Free tools
> to convert to/from vhd is what I think is still missing.

FWIW the Xen project has a library (looks like a BSDish license) for
reading/writing vhd files, although I don't think there is actually a
conversion tool built using them at the moment (it exists as part of the
blktap PV disk backend). I expect it would not be too hard to build one
though.

On the other hand AIUI Virtual Box's vbox-img (GPL) can do VHD
conversion already, but I've not tried it myself.

> I think that for Debian's purposes, offering one of the above formats
> (most likely vmdk) should be good enough, at least for start.

Agreed.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

Man has made his bedlam; let him lie in it.
		-- Fred Allen