Re: Call for teams interested in collaborating on a 'standard' Git workflow

On 28/07/11 at 15:36 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that many different teams have recently switched to Git, or are
> considering switching. But each of them seems to re-implement the wheel
> by designing their own Git workflow.
>
> I think that it would be fantastic if we could collaborate on defining
> a common Git workflow.
>
> [...]
>
> If you are interested in participating (which doesn't mean that you
> commit on behalf of your team to switch to that workflow, just that you
> want to participate in the discussions), add yourself (and your team) to
> http://wiki.debian.org/GitPackagingWorkflow.  If more than 3 teams are
> interested in a BOF at DC11, I'll try to organize one on saturday (all
> the video-broadcasted slots are taken, but we will make sure to take
> notes). If the BOF doesn't happen, I'll contact interested people to see
> how to continue.

Hi,

So a BOF happened at Debconf 11, and I've put the raw notes online at
http://wiki.debian.org/GitPackagingWorkflow/DebConf11BOF

My understanding of the situation is that we are ready to document a
workflow including:
- using git-buildpackage for basic stuff
- managing several repositories with mr
- managing and tracking the status of the repositories (e.g with PET)
- managing patches with quilt (the "nothing fancy" approach)
  + additionally, using a patch-queue system (but which one?) to
    manage patches locally
- managing debian/changelog with git-dch

Some people expressed interest in starting a proper documentation on
that on the Debian wiki. I suggest to use the
http://wiki.debian.org/GitPackagingWorkflow (or maybe to extend the
http://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit page).

We probably need more discussion:
- on patch queue managers
- on the "one-branch-per-patch" approaches

Also, Raphael Hertzog mentioned that the next version of dpkg will
unapply patches and remove .pc after the build, which should help with
managing patches in git.

- Lucas