Re: gpfs packages for a migration to Debian ?

On 07/22/2011 10:19 AM, Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> Hello,

Hi

> I hope that this mailing list is the right one for that kind of questions.
>
> I am investigating the availability of packages for de IBM General
> Parallel File System (GPFS) [1] for Debian. It seems that this kind of
> distributed filesystem is of 1st importance for an European institut to
> migrate most for their desktop and serveur to a Debian Solution.
>
> So I am asking here, to know if someone already has got experience with this kind of
> installation, and if some one already packages it.

We (at my university) experimented with GPFS on some Debian systems
quite recently. There are some issues though: some of the code can not
be distributed freely (one needs GPFS licenses) and the other issue is
to get the GPFS driver to compile one needs to cheat (we disguised us as
Ubuntu so the kernel headers could be found by the build process, but
had to remove Ubuntu specific parts as the number of arguments to the
kernel functions was unlike Ubuntu).

Cheers

Luk