Re: .la file removal, multiarch for plugins

On 2011-07-19, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> If we're talking about shared libraries, this is a non issue.  the .la file
> is named like the .so symlink, i.e. without the soname; dlopening a shared
> library without specifying an soname is Broken and Wrong.  So there's no
> reason for us to worry about breaking something that's already entirely
> broken.

Even if you specify it, it fails now with multiarch.  A Java program I use
(that's not packaged yet) dlopen()s /usr/lib/libnss3.so.  That one was
shipped in libnss3-1d until recently.  So the multiarch-ification leaded
to a FileNotFoundException band-aided by symlinking the above to

Kind regards
Philipp Kern