How to warn user about breaking change in location of runtime file?

  Hi,

  I'm maintainer of uWSGI package and want to introduce in next version
of package possibly breaking change in location of runtime file.

  uWSGI is a (web-)application server and usually is proxied by
Apache2/Nginx/Cherokee via communication socket. uWSGI init.d script,
provided by uwsgi package, guarantees creation of UNIX socket in
'/run/uwsgi/<confname>/socket' (where <confname> is the name of
user-made configuration file seen by init.d script).

  I want to move socket location from '/run/uwsgi/<confname>/socket' to
'/run/uwsgi/app/<confname>/socket'. If user relied on socket location,
then upgrade of uwsgi package will require manual editing of frontend
server configuration. Until editing (and reloading of upstream server),
behavior of the whole server stack will be broken.

  So I want to provide visible warning about introduced change in socket
location. And I'm curious about how to do it right.

  I've asked about it in debian-mentors [1]. In short: I've asked for
advice in choosing between: 1) mentioning of change in NEWS.Debian, 2)
providing debconf note, 3) both 1. and 2., 4) something else. I've
recieved no answers though.

  Since then, I've found that similar questions were discussed in
debian-devel some years ago (I've found threads from 2006, 2007 years).
And the conclusion was to use of NEWS.Debian exclusively (and to not
abuse debconf). I've also found and read relevant sections of Debian
Developer's Reference: 6.3.4 and 6.5.1. These sections also recommends
to use NEWS.Debian only.

  So I assume that mentioning of change in NEWS.Debian only is the right
way. Is it still true? Or there is more preferred way to warn user?

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/06/msg00273.html