Re: debian-ppc port for ps3-otheros++

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:03:04AM -0700, Geoff Levand wrote:
> Hi,
> On 06/26/2011 02:35 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > We wouldn't consider this as a distinct port, as the PS3 will run the
> > same powerpc binaries as we already provide.  But I assume there is some
> > specific hardware support (particularly for the SPEs) that is currently
> > lacking from our powerpc port, and help on that would surely be welcome.
> From what I understand of otherOS++, a kernel update to the PS3 code for
> hot plug memory and initrd is needed.  Existing powerpc binaries won't
> work.

The existing *userland* binaries will work, won't they?

If a special kernel configuration is needed, we would add that as a
'flavour' of the kernel, not a separate architecture.

> I think the changes needed are just a generalization of the existing
> code.  Is so, they should be sent to the Linuxppc-dev mailing list.
Right.  The Debian kernel team generally does not like to carry
patches forward indefinitely.  They should normally be accepted
upstream before we apply them.

Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus