Re: Cross-platform detection of multiarch

On 17 June 2011 10:002, Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>
wrote:
> On 17 June 2011 09:28, Jan Medlock <medlock-debian@turboshower.net>
> wrote:
>> I though about using dpkg-architecture.  Another way would be
>> preferred since dpkg-dev, the package containing dpkg-architecture,
>> might not be installed.
>
> Is that likely?
>
> dpkg-dev is required by build-essential and contains a number of
> important programs required for building Debian packages.

I don't know.  Is dpkg-dev installed by default on Debian, Ubuntu,
Mint, etc.?   (I'd guess the answer is no to all of them.)

Sage is designed to be built easily (just 'make') on a wide variety of
platforms.  I'd like a solution that as robust as possible to optional
packages the user might not have installed, since that's what Sage
tries to provide with its build system.

And in case there's confusion, I'm not talking about building a Debian
package: smarter people than me haven't yet solved that problem
because of all of its included dependencies, some of which are
required to be very specific versions.  The way to install Sage is to
build it from source, which now fails on multiarch Debian and
derivatives (except for Ubuntu 11.04).