Re: more about Zookeeper

Zookeeper is independent of hadoop except by heritage.

Hadoop should be excellent as a rendering system for maps.  Map-reduce
is used extensively by Google for similar operations.

The basic idea is that you scan across all objects emitting a copy of
the object tagged with the tiles that object intersects.  In the
reduce phase, the framework has collected all objects that intersect a
single map tile together so that rendering that tile is relatively
simple.

To render only changed tiles is similar.  First you do the same
process as above to get a list of all tiles with changes.  Then you
scan all objects emitting copies as before, but this time limited to
those tiles that have changes.

For very small numbers of changes, it may be faster to keep an index
and retrieve the involved objects using random access.  Once the
fraction of objects involved in changed tiles reaches about 0.1 to 1%
of all objects, however, it will be much faster to simply scan all
objects since you will have sequential disk access.

(but this should really be another thread)