Re: distinguish between "core" and "main"?

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 05:07:26PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> About the package set dependencies:  The core package sets would be
> self contained, i.e. they would not depend upon packages outside of
> their own core set. The new main/testing repository would be meant
> to work with both core/stable and core/testing.

I don't think what you want is likely to happen; nevertheless, the
priorities system does mandate that packages of higher priority not
depend on packages of lower priority.  Depending on your needs, you
could choose packages of important or higher or those of standard or
higher as your core set (this is on sid):

  lakeview ok % aptitude -q search '~prequired|~pimportant' | wc -l
  123
  lakeview ok % aptitude -q search '~prequired|~pimportant|~pstandard' | wc -l
  249

Most of the important or higher packages are very stable and unlikely to
break things at all.  Neither Debian nor I guarantee this, though.