Re: Linux 3.0

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 09:36:32AM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Am 31.05.2011 01:21, schrieb Adnan Hodzic:
> >> We could delay uploading it to unstable for a while if this is
> >> necessary to allow time for fixes to userland.
> > Would this mean we wouldn't have it in Experimental either?
>
> Quoting the original announcement:
>
> > If you suspect that your packages may have such dependencies, please
> > test against Linux 3.0 release candidates when they are uploaded to
> > experimental (which will happen in the next few days).

Except, as Linus said, -rc versions are going to be labelled 3.0.0-rc42 in
order to give people time to fix this breakage, and only the final version
will be "3.0".

So the packages in experimental will catch breakage in scripts that assume
"2.6." but not those which expect at least the numbers.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be