Re: Behaviour of dpkg-source with "3.0 (quilt)" and VCS and automatic patches

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 29.05.2011, 11:26 +0200 schrieb Josselin Mouette:
> > But it still happens that those patches are generated[1] when the maintainer
> > did not expect any change at all. That's why we added the option
> > --abort-on-upstream-changes for maintainers who never wants dpkg-source
> > to auto-create a patch.
> >
> > I wonder if I should not make this option the default
>
> Yes please.

I’m ok with it, as long as the unexpected changes are put in a patch
file, either in /tmp or some location cleaned by dpkg-buildpackage, so
if I want the change I can just move it into debian/patches with an
appropriate name.

Basically avoiding yet another call to dpkg-buildpackage
(--record-changes or something) just to get the patch in place.

I often run dpkg-buildpackage -S just with the intention of recording my
changes as a patch, as that is more convenient to run "quilt new ...;
quilt add ..." _before_ doing the changes.

BTW, for all who create patches this way and want to later split the
patch into two logically independent patches, I am creating an
interactive patch splitter based on the darcs UI (but only the UI, don’t
worry):
http://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/archives/425-ipatch,-the-interactive-patch-editor.html
(Packaging for Debian is pending, but of course a goal. Until then,
cabal-install will get it to your computer almost as easy as apt-get
install.)

Greetings,
Joachim

--