Re: packaging-dev meta package

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 02:20:48PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>>
>> > My reasoning on these two was that some people probably aren't
>> > interested in switching from cdbs to quilt, so coming across packages
>> > still using it will be common for a while.  CMake is a corollary to
>> > autoconf and heavily used in KDE-land, which seems like a
>> > not-insignificant number of packages.
>>
>> But in both cases, those should be pulled in as build-depends, no?

Isn't this supposed to be a "give me everything I might need" meta
package for people that want to start a new package or debianize
something new? In that case they won't have any Build-Depends yet.

Or for setting up a developement chroot for use with many packages. To
get a suitable starting point so that not every single user will have to
send in a "Please install foo" request.

> Well, I think it is worthwhile to be able to modify and build source
> packages without having to install the full Build-Depends.  Do you
> usually need to have cmake installed to run the clean target?  If so,
> that might be a reason to include it.
>

> Michael

Then don't install this package. I don't think it unlikely someone would
want to write/work on a package that uses cmake. Just like other people
would write/work on a package that uses automake. They might not need
cmake/automake all the time but they will most of the time.