Re: packaging-dev meta package

Hi,

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 07:10:24PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > A few days ago, we had a discussion in Ubuntu about a packaging-dev meta
> > package. The problem is that users have to install a bunch of packages
> > if they want to dive into packaging. Even some packagers get annoyed
> > when they need to turn a newly installed system into a packaging
> > environment. The solution would be a meta package that depends on the
> > commonly used packages for packaging.
>
> Hello Benjamin,
>
> I think that it is a good idea, and would like to suggest to add debian-policy
> to the contents of this metapackage.

I like the idea as well and if I where you I would issue an ITP and
upload a first version.  The discussion became a bit longish but I do
not really see a reason for this.  A lot of people who are not happy
about the idea seem to be no potential users of this package - so they
will ignore it and you can probably ignore their concerns as well.

If there might be issues by real users of the package you can finally
work down these by fixing bug reports against it.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de