Re: Getting good bug reports

Goswin von Brederlow writes ("Re: Getting good bug reports"):
> So everyone is allowed to write a frontend to report bugs via smtp. But
> only reportbug is allowed to use http? That seems a bit stupid.

No-one _wants_ to write a frontend to report bugs via smtp, and doing
so as a simple serverless web application is probably nearly
impossible.  So that is a moot problem.

The reason why there is a problem with an http submission interface is
that suddenly every idiot will think "oh I must write a cool ui for
this".

> Any tool generating valid mails to bugs.debian.org should also be
> allowed to send them via http.  Specifically I would like the "bts"
> command to work over http too if reportbug does.

The "bts" command is less relevant because it is run on your
workstation rather than some kind of installation target.

> Why not just make it an smtp-over-http tunnel with the clear limit of
> only accepting mail to bug.debian.org. I mean the problem is ISPs that
> don't allow an smtp connect to bugs.d.o so lets circumvent that
> limitation by using http underneath.

The opposition to http submission is because of the slippery slope
argument I set out earlier.  I think it's a more than hypothetical
problem - see how many people in this thread have advocated precisely
the things that sceptics (like me) don't want.

Ian.